Borough Code now on internet, to access click on link below
Leaves Can Be Dangerous
Autumn is here and the leaves are falling, and as a reminder, do not allow anyone to play in a pile of leaves, especially in the street. It is too dangerous!
Do Not Leave Candles Unattended
Candles may be pretty, but are very dangerous when left unattended. Please be sure that they are completely out when not being watched.
Fire Prevention Week is in October
A few reminders from the department.
Check your smoke detectors and CO detector when you put your clocks back one hour on November 7th (Daylight Savings Time ends). If detectors are not working, check or replace the battery. “Change your clock, change your battery.”
As the weather outside gets colder people will buy space heaters to supplement their main heating systems. Different types of space heaters with no exposed heating elements are the safest to purchase for use. If the space heater uses kerosene, wood or coral, you are required to have a Carbon Monoxide (CO) and Smoke Detector in the room that the space heater will be used.
If your house has a fireplace, it is a good idea to put both CO and smoke detectors in the room. Have the chimney cleaned every year. Do not buy an electric heater unless it bears the label of an independent testing laboratory and has a tip over switch that will shut off the current if the unit is knocked over.
Volunteer Fire Department
If You Would Like To Be a Firefighter:
1. You must be a resident for 6 months or more.
2. You must be a citizen of the US.
3. You must be between 18 and 40 years of age and in good health and a physical is required.
Surviving A Large Fire
Stay calm so that you can think clearly. If the door is closed, feel it from the bottom to top with the back of your hand. If it is cool, you may open the door. Brace your foot and shoulders against the door and open slowly. If there is light smoke, quickly get low and crawl to the nearest exit. Stay low to avoid smoke/toxic gases that collect on ceilings. Close all doors behind you and never use an elevator during the fire. Call the fire department at 201-768-5900 and never go back to get anything!
If you are trapped, don’t panic! If you exert yourself, you will breathe faster and take in more smoke/toxic gases that can burn your lungs or knock you unconscious. Feel the door from bottom to top. If it is hot or warm, stuff clothing or towels at the bottom of the door to keep out smoke. Open a window and try to escape or stand by the window, shout for help, wave something and wait for rescue.
If your clothing catches on fire, stop where you are. Moving or running feeds air to the flames and worsens the fire. Drop to the ground. Place your hands over your eyes, nose and mouth to protect your face. Roll slowly on the ground until the flames are smothered and of course seek immediate medical attention for burns and or smoke inhalation.